This job will require residence in Columbus, Ohio for up to 4 months to which then the position will be located permanently in Burlington, MA.
LightForce Orthodontics is a digital platform providing orthodontists with fully customized, 3D printed tooth-moving tools.
Founded in 2015 by Dr. Alfred Griffin, DMD, PhD, MMSc along with Dr. Lou Shuman, DMD, LightForce is revolutionizing the specialty through advanced manufacturing and technology. After four years of extensive research and development, LightForce launched their first product to the Orthodontic market- the world's first, and only, fully customized 3D printed bracket system and digital treatment software. Learn more at www.lightforceortho.com.
I know what you're thinking. Perhaps the Orthodontics industry isn't what you were looking for. If I am being honest, that's what I initially thought. But the more I learned, the more I started to see the exciting and massive opportunity. Imagine an industry that hasn't changed in 50 years. This space is old, slow, and ripe for a team of creative and passionate people to do something BIG. We have a very real and rare opportunity to truly build a company from the ground up and disrupt a $2B industry. There aren't many startups in Boston that can honestly say that.
As a New Product Introductions (NPI) Technician at LightForce Orthodontics, you will be at the forefront of commercializing research at a fast-growing start-up. You will work directly with the research and development team taking ideas, making them into realities and connecting them to the manufacturing and production team. You will work closely with hardware engineers, production technicians and management to ensure a smooth transition between creation and growth. You will be responsible for testing new equipment, ensuring product design and integrity are maintained, aiding in workflow design, and introducing the team to new product lines.
LightForce Orthodontics hires committed, self-motivated associates and then gives them the freedom and flexibility to do great work. You will help to grow a fantastic tech company, to advance the orthodontic profession, and to provide positive health benefits to patients.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Master new machines and products and aid in product integration and testing
- Set up, operate, and monitor manufacturing equipment that perform tasks required to build the product and prepare it for shipment worldwide
- Follow specifications, job orders, work instructions, and quality procedures to produce specific products in accordance with our quality system
- Maintain product traceability throughout the manufacturing process
- Become fully trained, and follow all safety procedures for the operation and use of equipment
- Inspect product; set up and operate manufacturing equipment:
- Inspect incoming materials as per inspection procedures as needed
- Inspect materials, products, and equipment to detect defects or malfunctions
- Route product samples for quality control inspection according to procedure
- Ensure that equipment operations conform to production or process standards
- Support the training or cross-training of operators and engineers as new products get developed
- Contribute actively to safety and quality system improvement programs
- Be able to work independently, self-learn and troubleshoot issues
- Collaborate with other technicians and engineers on development and documentation
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in mechanical, manufacturing or related field is preferred
- Related career experience in manufacturing or research processes a plus
- Experience in design validation and control documentation as well as process development and validation studies is a plus
- Basic computer knowledge, such as using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Must demonstrate acute attention to detail and organizational skills
- Critical understanding of the importance of documentation and data traceability
- Familiarity with executing Standard Operating Procedures in a manufacturing or assembly environment
- Must be able to work well independently and in a team environment
- Must have the ability to work safely and conscientiously in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as a passion for learning
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to reach and manipulate controls on equipment
- Perform work activities with production chemicals, adhesives and epoxies, using required personal protective equipment
- Ability to view and reliably identify small (< 1 mm), low-contrast features on parts/components
- Requires physical activity such as standing for long periods of time, walking, and working with hands
- Flexible vacation
- Generous premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision plans
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Pre-tax MBTA commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LightForce Orthodontics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.