LightForce Orthodontics is a digital platform providing orthodontists with fully customized, 3D printed tooth-moving tools.
Founded in 2015 by Dr. Alfred Griffin, DMD, PhD, MMSc along with Dr. Lou Shuman, DMD, LightForce is revolutionizing the specialty through advanced manufacturing and technology. After four years of extensive research and development, LightForce launched their first product to the Orthodontic market- the world’s first, and only, fully customized 3D printed bracket system and digital treatment software. Learn more at www.lightforceortho.com.
I know what you’re thinking. Perhaps the Orthodontics industry isn’t what you were looking for. If I am being honest, that’s what I initially thought. But the more I learned, the more I started to see the exciting and massive opportunity. Imagine an industry that hasn’t changed in 50 years. This space is old, slow, and ripe for a team of creative and passionate people to do something BIG. We have a very real and rare opportunity to truly build a company from the ground up and disrupt a $2B industry. There aren’t many startups in Boston that can honestly say that.
As a Manufacturing Technician at LightForce Orthodontics, you will be an active member of a fast-growing start-up at the forefront of digital manufacturing. You will be responsible for maintaining the daily manufacturing operations of our orthodontic appliance production line. You will work closely with hardware engineers, dental planners, and management to ensure that the right products get to the right people on time, all while meeting the highest quality standards. This position will report to the Operations Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up, operate, and monitor manufacturing equipment performing tasks required to build the product and prepare it for shipment worldwide
- Follow specifications, job orders, work instructions, and quality procedures to produce specific products in accordance with our quality system
- Maintain product traceability throughout the manufacturing process
- Become fully trained, and follow all safety procedures for the operation and use of equipment
- Inspect product; set up and operate manufacturing equipment:
- Inspect incoming materials as per inspection procedures as needed
- Inspect materials, products, and equipment to detect defects or malfunctions
- Route product samples for quality control inspection according to procedure
- Ensure that equipment operations conform to production or process standards
- Support the training or cross-training of operators that are new to the work area
- Contribute actively to safety and quality system improvement programs
- Maintain a clean and organized work area, and assure proper disposal of waste materials
- Comply with all Company policies including safety, operating procedures, quality, attendance, and proper on-the-job conduct
Education and Experience
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree in manufacturing or related field is preferred
- At least two years of related professional-level career experience in manufacturing
- Experience in 3D printing is a plus
- Basic computer knowledge, such as using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Must demonstrate acute attention to detail and organizational skills
- Critical understanding of the importance of documentation and data traceability
- Familiarity with executing Standard Operating Procedures in a manufacturing or assembly environment
- Must be able to work well independently and in a team environment
- Must have the ability to work safely and conscientiously in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as a passion for learning
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to reach and manipulate controls on equipment
- Perform work activities with production chemicals, adhesives and epoxies, using required personal protective equipment
- Ability to view and reliably identify small (< 1 mm), low-contrast features on parts/components
- Requires physical activity such as standing for long periods of time, walking, and working with hands
- Flexible vacation
- Generous premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision plans
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LightForce Orthodontics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.